Wednesday, January 4, 2012

"We Owned The Night" Lady Antebellum

Tell me have you ever wanted
Someone so much it hurts?
Your lips keep trying to speak
But you just can't find the words
Well I had this dream once;
I held it in my hands


She was the purest beauty
But not the common kind
She had a way about her
That made you feel alive
And for a moment
We made the world stand still


Yeah, we owned the night


You had me dim the lights;
You danced just like a child
The wine spilled on your dress


And all you did was smile
Yeah, it was perfect
I hold it in my mind


Yeah, we owned the night


When the summer rolls around
And the sun starts sinking down
I still remember you
Oh, I remember you
And I wonder where you are


Are you looking at those same stars again?
Do you remember when?


We woke under a blanket
All tangled up in skin
Not knowing in that moment
We'd never speak again
But it was perfect;
I never will forget
When we owned the night


Yeah, we owned the night

Lady Antebellum wrote "We Owned the Night," to recall on the emotions the artists experienced from a past memory of loving "the purest beauty," and a memorable night they had once shared together. With the use of many poetic terms they bring this memory to life in the listener's mind. He talks about this dream he once had saying how "[he] held it in [his] hands," using personification as he could not actually hold the dream in his hand but the idea of a dream.  "You danced just like a child," is a simile that described how her dancing was carefree and intoxicated with joy. Parell structure such as "You had me dim the lights; You danced just like a child,"  is used to help the song flow smoothly together as well as to accentuate the setting and tone of the song. "We owned the night," is repeated several times throughout the song to emphasized how invincible they had felt. An apostrophe is brought into the song as he asked the girl, who is absent from his life, if she was "looking at those same stars again," like they once had. A paradoxical line they used is when he talked about being "all tangled up in skin," because while it is impossible to tangle their own skin up, it isn't impossible to tangle their bodies up with one another. This song makes listeners revive memories of their own past lovers and meaningful nights they once had together.

No comments:

Post a Comment